A Maverick Life: The Jack Kelly Story by Linda J Alexander I'm glad Linda J Alexander wrote the Jack Kelly story. He's a bit of a forgotten man in some ways. I have been a fan of westerns since I was knee-high to a cornflakes box and I had the good sense to be born in the golden era of TV westerns in the late 50s/early 60s - Bronco, Cheyenne, Wagon Train, Laramie, etc and, the greatest of them all, Maverick. The Jack Kelly/James Garner combo was terrific and even watching reruns as recently as last year, the magic is still there on screen. Garner left the show and went on to a great career in films and TV. Kelly stayed a bit longer, was eventually "let go", the show folded and he found himself trying hard to capitalise on his TV fame and popularity. He balanced his working life between screen and theatre, eventually abandoning both for local politics. After Maverick, he was a kind of go-to-guest-star for TV series. I remember him fondly in...
Comments
Post a Comment