BIG OVATION FOR IRELAND'S OWN

 













I want to highlight the brilliant weekly magazine, Ireland's Own, which has been in circulation for 120 years.  It's a family-friendly magazine that combines fun, history and nostalgia in its (generally) 96 pages.

I loved reading it when I was young and I continue to enjoy it now that I am not as young as I once was.  It entertains, fascinates and educates and never fails as an enjoyable read.

Over the past few years, I have been lucky enough to contribute articles and Shea Tompkins on the editorial team has been kind enough to publish them and to commission some pieces that have been a delight to research and write.

Shea has published my writing on these subjects (most with an Irish connection):

Stephen Boyd (1931 - 1977) - Hollywood star 1950s to 1970s

Sam Kydd (1915 - 1982) - journeyman actor on big sand small screens

Coco the Clown (1900 - 1974) -famous  clown and road safety campaigner

Autograph Collecting - one of my hobbies

James Ellis  (1931 - 2014) - actor, director and writer

Ben Hur at 60 - celebration of a great epic movie

Christmas Birthdays - famous people born on 25 December

Alan Whicker (1921 - 2013) - journalist, broadcaster and travel legend

Birdy Sweeney (1931 - 1999) - comedian and actor

Don Murray in Mullingar - film star on location and participating in a local running event

Thelma Todd (1906 - 1935) - film star known as Hot Toddy and The Ice Cream Blonde

Eddie Byrne (1911 - 1981) - journeyman actor on big and small screens

Casablanca - story of the classic film and the Irish censor's scissors

Operation Mincemeat - comparison between Operation Mincemeat and The Man Who Never Was

History of the Typewriter - as it says. QWERTY!

and a couple more in the pipeline.













So, thanks to Shea and the Ireland's Own team. 

Big ovation for this superb magazine.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SING MY SONG, WILLIE

FLASH FICTION - THE OOPS OF BURTON DANIELS

JACK KELLY - A MAVERICK LIFE